With this award, the DEFA Foundation commemorates the filmmaker Heiner Carow (1929-1997), who directed films in the Babelsberg Film Studios such as THEY CALLED HIM AMIGO (1959), THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING (1968), THE LEGEND OF PAUL AND PAULA (1973), ICARUS (1976), UNTIL DEATH DO US PART (1979), and COMING OUT (1989). For COMING OUT, he received the Silver Bear in the Competition section at the Berlinale in February 1990.
The Heiner-Carow-Prize is part of the Berlinale awards that are given by independent juries, which bestows awards on behalf of external organizations and institutions independent of the festival.
- 2019: Annekatrin Hendel für SCHÖNHEIT & VERGÄNGLICHKEIT
- 2018: STYX by Wolfgang Fischer
- 2017: FIVE STARS by Annekatrin Hendel
- 2016: GREETINGS FROM FUKUSHIMA by Doris Dörrie
- 2015: B-MOVIE: LUST & SOUND IN WEST BERLIN by Jörg A. Hoppe, Klaus Maeck and Heiko Lange
- 2014: MY MOTHER, A WAR AND ME by Johann Feindt and Tamara Trampe
- 2013: NAKED OPERA by Angela Christlieb